I love that we have moved into a bigger space and have room to get creative with sensory toys at home. Everyone loves this swing! 🙂
It was super easy to do and cost very little. I know – a sensory item that doesn’t break the bank. That’s a shocker for sure! But here’s the thing, you really don’t need to purchase prepackaged, high priced sensory toys from a specialized company. The one time I did – the product didn’t last but a few months anyway. So I gave up. Oh I will continue to check things out. But really those companies don’t make things that can withstand the rigorous needs of my Boy without sending the price through the roof. Thankfully Hubby is handy.
How we made our swing
- I wanted a round swing so that I didn’t need to worry about corners and my walls. Just my preference. Hubby cut a circle out of 3/4″ plywood in the diameter that we felt was big enough for the Boy to play on and lay on, but small enough to fit in our space without smashing into the walls.
- We drilled 4 holes in the plywood for heavy duty rope to be thread through to hang the plywood platform.
- Get yourself heavy duty hardware for the ceiling attachment and make sure you find a joist to attach everything to! This is not a place to cut corners. We found what we needed for under $50 on Amazon and our local hardware store that caters to the farming community. You would rather the load it can handle be too high than too low. We chose hardware that allowed for the swing to spin as well as swing.
- Cover the platform with carpet or heavy duty material. Cut holes in your covering to match the holes in the plywood. We singed the edges of our material so they would not fray.
- Thread your rope through your holes in the swing and attach it to the hardware in your ceiling making sure it is high enough not to scrape on the ground while swinging but not so high that it’s difficult to get on and off! The goal is for your child to use it independently so that he can self-regulate.
Who would have thought it could be that simple? I sure didn’t, but we are certainly loving the results ♥